Keep knowledgeable with free updates
Merely signal as much as the World myFT Digest — delivered on to your inbox.
Good morning. Federal investigators within the US have launched an inquiry into how a piece of a brand new Boeing 737 Max blew out mid-flight, as airways in Turkey and Panama floor their very own planes for inspection.
The withdrawals come after the US airline regulator, the Federal Aviation Administration, on Saturday ordered the momentary grounding of some 737 Max 9s operated by US airways or in US territory.
All 171 passengers and 6 crew of the Alaska Airways-operated Boeing plane landed again safely at Portland, Oregon after the incident on Friday night time.
“We’re very lucky this didn’t find yourself in one thing extra tragic,” mentioned Jennifer Homendy, the pinnacle of the Nationwide Transportation Security Board. Right here’s extra on the investigation and why it’s a blow to Boeing.
Extra US information: Republican and Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill have reached an settlement on the extent of federal spending for 2024, in a breakthrough that strikes Congress nearer to avoiding a pricey authorities shutdown.
Right here’s what I’m preserving tabs on at the moment:
Financial information: The EU publishes November retail gross sales figures and December shopper confidence information. The US stories month-to-month shopper credit score information.
North Korea: Chief Kim Jong Un celebrates his birthday, believed to be his forty second.
Japan: Monetary markets are closed for Coming of Age Day (Grownup’s Day).
5 extra prime tales
1. Sheikh Hasina is about to increase her two-decade rule over Bangladesh after a crackdown on her rivals left the results of yesterday’s election all however assured. Right here’s what analysts mentioned concerning the vote, which additionally highlighted the geopolitical rift between the US and rising Asian powers.
2. US defence secretary Lloyd Austin has taken the blame for concealing his hospitalisation final week in a breach of protocol that left US President Joe Biden at nighttime about his well being. The Pentagon’s disclosure raised questions on how and why the defence secretary’s situation had been hid, particularly at a time of two main wars in Gaza and Ukraine.
3. Software program firm Carta has been attempting to commerce its prospects’ shares with out consent, based on a criticism that threatens to undermine belief within the extensively used platform. The CEO of the $7.4bn investor monitoring group blamed a rogue worker and admitted that two different corporations utilizing Carta had additionally been affected by the identical challenge. Learn extra on the dispute.
4. The Israeli navy says it has efficiently destroyed Hamas as an organised preventing drive in northern Gaza. The Israel Protection Forces’ chief spokesperson, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, mentioned it has shifted its focus to the centre and south of the battered territory in a contemporary stage of its battle towards the Palestinian militant group.
5. European Council president Charles Michel has introduced he’ll run in EU-wide elections in June, a transfer that might drive him to step down early from his present position if elected. Right here’s why Michel’s plans might increase Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s affect over EU policymaking.
The Weekend Essay
As Taiwan’s residents put together to elect their subsequent president on January 13, Beijing is sending them stark reminders of its declare on Taiwan and its risk to annex the island. The FT’s Kathrin Hille explores how Taiwanese of all generations are forging a brand new imaginative and prescient of their previous — and future — within the face of Beijing’s threats.
We’re additionally studying . . .
Japan: Will the nation’s largest political funding scandal in additional than three a long time imperil Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s bolder defence coverage?
Putin’s Russia: The autocrat appears sure of re-election in March amid a political tradition awash with unusual fantasies and obsessions, writes Tony Barber.
Elections: Don’t neglect the non-voters, writes Jemima Kelly. Participating those that really feel unrepresented is important to sustaining a wholesome political system.
Chart of the day
A brand new Chinese language authorized database is stoking fears amongst authorized consultants about declining information transparency towards the backdrop of a wider authorities clampdown on entry to info beneath President Xi Jinping.
Take a break from the information
Being out of contact with web slang can pose issues within the office, highlighting a broader challenge of the generational divisions taking part in out in workplaces world wide. However that doesn’t imply bosses ought to be attempting to drop “rizz” into the dialog, writes Emma Jacobs.